Mailing Lists

From: "BSO news">
Subject: BSO newsletter
Date: September 16th 2014

Season tickets for 2014/15 have now been posted to everyone who requested them under our preferential booking scheme and the online ticketing system for booking individual concerts is open to everyone again at Some excellent seats are still available. If you haven't yet paid for tickets received in the post you can do so there as well.

Our annual newsletter from John Carmichael is below and those who requested a paper copy should receive theirs in the post shortly. A copy of our season brochure is also attached in PDF format and we would love you to forward that to all your friends. Don't forget to follow us on facebooktwitter or RSS in case of last-minute changes.

Dear Concertgoer

Once again it is time to let you know about Bromley Symphony Orchestra’s 2014/15 season. As usual we have an exciting varied programme of music in Bromley’s fine new concert hall under the inspiring baton of our conductor Adrian Brown.

We open with a concert of English music. Walton’s jazzy “Portsmouth Point Overture” vividly captures the rumbustious, bustling energy of the illustration by 19th Century cartoonist Thomas Rowlandson that inspired it. Our distinguished soloist in Walton’s lyrical concerto, regarded as one of the major solo works for the viola, is Caroline Harrison, principal viola of the BBC Symphony Orchestra. In this, the composer shows deep understanding of the special characteristics of the instrument, its deep, soulful sound, introspective nature and bitter-sweet wistfulness. Elgar’s First Symphony achieved what the “The Musical Times” referred to as “immediate and phenomenal success” with over 100 performances within just over a year of its 1908 première in Britain, continental Europe and America. This initial success has withstood the test of time, remaining one of the true masterpieces of the 20th Century, a firm favourite in today’s concert programmes.

In January, we step a few years back into the 19th Century to perform two top concert favourites. Dvoƙák’s Cello Concerto is deservedly the most popular of all cello concertos (fairly closely followed by Elgar’s). It combines technical virtuosity with heartfelt emotion, and few pieces are as moving as it takes on a beautifully serene tone making its way towards its elegiac conclusion. We follow this with his friend Brahms’s Third Symphony which exhibits a striking mixture of passion and pessimism, restlessness and serenity. It is his most personal symphony and a glorious work.

March’s concert has just one work – but what a work! Mahler’s Seventh Symphony demonstrates the composer’s view that “a symphony must be like the world: it should contain everything”. This one does! It demands huge orchestral resources, including even a guitar and a mandolin, and exploits them to the full. It contrasts darkness and light, and has sometimes been called (without the composer’s blessing) the “Song of the Night”. After a brooding opening movement there are two central movements entitled “Nachtmusik” (night music) which flank a nightmarish, spooky shadow-like waltz. Then the finale brings a blaze of light leading the symphony to a brilliant triumphant conclusion. Don’t miss this one!

In May we offer four delightfully contrasted works. Humperdinck’s ever popular fairy-tale overture is followed by Strauss’s Serenade, which was written when he was only 17 and radiates joyful contentment. For Glazunov’s Violin Concerto, we are joined by BBC Young Musician of the Year 2010 strings winner Callum Smart, who has gone on to make quite a name for himself. This concerto, with its rhapsodic bursts of melody, sensuous harmonies and technical fireworks, holds a very special position in the violin repertoire and is one of the composer’s most popular works. We end with Rachmaninov’s brilliant Symphonic Dances, his last work. It is full of sumptuous harmonies and abounds in great rhythmic energy. Considered by many commentators to be his best orchestral composition, it is great to play as well as to listen to, and is a wonderful way for both the orchestra and the audience to end our season.

We hope that you share our enthusiasm, not only for this season’s choice of music but also for Bromley’s splendid new concert hall, so do come to our concerts. If you haven’t yet seen it, this concert hall is a superb venue with excellent acoustics, good sight lines from all over the hall, greatly improved facilities and no car parking problems. It may be in a part of Bromley that you are not familiar with, but it is a major improvement to Bromley’s cultural life.

Why not buy a season ticket? It gives you 25% discount – 4 concerts for the price of 3. If you cannot attend all four concerts, you could give your spare tickets to friends to introduce them to Bromley’s premier orchestra.

So put these concert dates in your diaries and book now. We now have online booking where you can choose your seats at or you can phone on 020 3627 2974. Delay and you risk disappointment. Even now, we have already sold nearly 300 season tickets. We look forward to seeing you.

Yours sincerely
John Carmichael

Bromley Symphony Orchestra

PS – Please do spread the word about us. There are still far too many local people who appreciate classical music but do not even know we exist. And please encourage your friends and relations to come to our concerts.

This is a low-volume email list, to remind audience members about Bromley Symphony Orchestra concerts and events. If you prefer an annual paper newsletter, use our contact form at to join our postal mailing list and get preferential booking.

Privacy Policy:

See for privacy information.