Mailing Lists

From: "pdjenner@btinternet.com via BSO members" ...@bromleysymphony.org>
Subject: Fwd: Calling Female instrumentalists: Join Southbank Centre's WOW Orchestra 2018
Date: November 10th 2017
One for the ladies

Sent from my iPhone

-------- Original Message --------
From:Sophie Ransby via BSO members ...@bromleysymphony.org>
Sent:Fri, 10 Nov 2017 13:58:54 +0000
To:BSO members ...@bromleysymphony.org>

Join Southbank Centre's Women of the World Orchestra

Southbank Centre is a proud champion of women in the arts. As part of our Women in Music strand, we are pleased to announce that we are once again creating a Women of the World Orchestra for 2018.

Aimed at music students, those starting out in their performing careers and gifted amateur musicians, we invite women aged 18 and over to join this orchestra to play alongside and network with professional section leaders as part of a special year-long education opportunity.

Since 2011, this orchestra has been part of Southbank Centre’s WOW festival, a weekend of talks, debates, performance and activism celebrating women and girls from around the world. A highlight for the WOW Orchestra is a performance at Royal Festival Hall as part of Mirth Control – an electrifying night of comedy and music performed and inspired by women and hosted by Sandi Toksvig.

‘The WOW concert last night was just fantastic and it was an honour to share the stage with so many amazing and talented women. To play for such musical legends was dream come true. Thank you so much for the opportunity.’

‘Through attending a WOW workshop, I've now made contacts that might help me set up a music festival.’

‘I had a really enjoyable time and felt uplifted by the whole event. Very supportive, positive and great fun.’

‘As a result of being part of the WOW Orchestra, I pay more attention to women's situations… and recognise the part I could play to improve things.’

As a member of the orchestra you have the opportunity to take part in a number of additional development opportunities throughout the year. These include attending masterclasses and talks with inspiring women, Southbank Centre’s Women in Music breakfasts, networking opportunities, educational workshops and tickets to open rehearsals and Southbank Centre concerts.

Practical Requirements

You need to be available for a full-day rehearsal and performance in the Royal Festival Hall, London, on Sunday 11 March and a full day rehearsal (exact times and nearby venue tbc) on Saturday 10 March 2018.

We welcome applications from female students aged 18+, who have achieved Grade 8 on their instrument and who have experience of orchestral playing. We also welcome applications from female non-students looking to take advantage of this development opportunity and the same criteria apply: they have achieved Grade 8 on their instrument and have experience of orchestral playing.

The deadline for final applications is Sunday 14 January 2018.

This is not a paid role. We are seeking student and amateur musicians for this project as WOW Orchestra is designed as an exciting, unique and fun learning and development opportunity, celebrating great women in classical music, and advocating and campaigning for equal and fairer treatment for the female musicians of the future.

To apply click here

Dr Sophie Ransby
Education Manager (Orchestras)

Tel: 0207 921 0767 / Mob: 07904 271740

Southbank Centre
Belvedere Road
London
SE1 8XX

Registered Charity No. 298909
  • Start a new thread, email: memb...@bromleysymphony.org

This list is used to inform Bromley Symphony Orchestra members about rehearsals and events.