Mailing Lists

From: "BSO news" ...@bromleysymphony.org>
Subject: BSO concert reminder for Saturday 20th May
Date: May 9th 2017

This is a reminder that the final concert of our 2016-17 season is on Saturday 20th May at Langley Park Centre for the Performing Arts BR3 3BP. There are good seats still available including free seats for children in the circle slips, nearest the orchestra. To quote our brochure: "Dukas suggested that his La Péri should evoke ‘translucent, dazzling enamel’ with hints of Persia. Debussy’s Spanish-inspired Rhapsody for saxophone and orchestra is followed by Brahms’ radiantly sunny, transcendently lyrical Second Symphony. See you there!"

We're sure you're curious about next season and the good news is the programme has just been announced on our web site. We hope you will all find some familiar favourites while being tempted by pieces less well known, and of course be inspired to buy or renew season tickets at www.bromleysymphony.org/seasontickets.

Centenary and composition competition

We need your help! Our 2018/2019 season will be the Orchestra’s hundredth! We are very keen to know more about our past.  Perhaps you have connections to a former player or have fond memories of a particular performance or soloist.  Do you remember Ralph Holmes playing the Brahms Violin Concerto in 1980 (or even 1966!), or Alan Civil’s Strauss Horn Concerto in 1970, or the Berlioz Requiem in a Biggin Hill hangar in 1990?  Perhaps you can even fill in some of the blanks before 1960 with programmes or reviews. Please contact us with your reminiscences and memories. Our aim is to prepare a full history of the Orchestra for our centenary season.

We are seeking a new work for full orchestra as part of our celebrations. (Works previously performed in concert will not be considered.) Details are on our competition page. The adjudicator will be Dr Robert Saxton, whose decision will be final. He will choose the winners from the top three finalists, as voted on by the orchestra. The winner, who must be a UK resident, will receive £1500. The winning work will receive its first public performance in our 2018-2019 season (concert planned for March 2019).

Summer workshop

To fill the summer gap we are holding another summer workshop this year, on Sunday 11th June. This time we will rehearse and perform some of Mozart's late symphonies. Details will be announced on our website nearer the time, but the event will be open to the public and we encourage you to come along and listen or play during the day.

Vacancies

Next season we will have vacancies for a principal trumpet, co-principal trombone, violins and harps. If you know a good player who might be interested in any of these positions, please let them know.

BSO 2017 May poster